Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Venture in Year 1976

facebook面子書,臉書
Cora Tsai  開車開了350 miles, 經過3州(Ohio, Indiana and Illinois) 看見了一些美景: 野花盛開,陽光高照,綠野一片,夕陽西下! 下回再來看望好友,不知會是何時?

 

Shean Chang  Chicago 是您的大本營 (因女兒讀西北大學),這路綫makes sense。 1978 我們從香檳城出發,路綫為H,B, G,F, 又加Ann Arbor 探訪我四舅,五舅,舅媽,尼加拉瓜瀑布,Washington DC 是目的地。 本当に懐かしnatsukashi !
 
facebook面子書,臉書 
Cora Tsai  兩星期前的今天,自芝加哥往紐約前進,總共開了2000多英里的來回車程。與許多久未見面的老朋友重逢相聚。見到綺麗風光,嚐了許多山珍海味,領受許多的祝福與珍貴禮物.... 快樂的旅程,已進入尾聲!祝福每一位在這趟旅程中相遇的親朋好友!後會有期。
Shean Chang  禁不住要回想1976八月的往事。 從Northridge,CA 開這部1968 Plymouth Valiant 老爺車 到伊利諾 Champaign-Urbana (路經Saint Louis),分7天完成。開始了4年 Ph.D Graduate School 人生新旅程。 這照片應是在到Denver, Colorado 前拍的。

這 車子是那時公認耐用,但 1st owner 並沒有保養好。出發前花 $300,老mechanic 認爲開到 Illinois 沒問題。那時還不認識上帝,所以只好相信他。他說的沒錯,兩次看到水溫很高,但没overheat,到 Colorado 前有 flat tire,換一輪胎。現在看來,上帝是跟我同行,只是我不知道!這一次Journey 已經夠了,不需再來一次。

Exiting Zion National park, Utah and entering Colorado (typical canyon scenery)

Climbed up Rocky Mountain National Park (from Denver) 

Beyond Denver, scenery was kind of boring in Kansas and Missouri.  Hot burning wind seemingly from the oven was blowing in entire Kansas.  I have heard my UCSB advisor Dr. Virgil Elings (who grew up in Iowa) said, wind blows against you no matter what direction you go in Kansas.

Carrying clothes and stuff in the car, I slept one or two nights at the U. of Illinois parking lot.  There I met a guy who drove from Arizona for his undergraduate study at U. of I.  We went to look for an one-bedroom apartment and we became roommates for the first semester.


facebook面子書,臉書
Beyond Denver, Colorado, there was nothing but the vast flat land in Kansas and Missouri (driving to Champaign-Urbana, Illinois in August 1976). So, somewhere toward the end of my 7 days journey, I took the picture of sunset as reflected in the mirror of my 1968 Plymouth Valiant. I went on to drive the car for the next 4 years. When I concluded my graduate student life in Illinois, I sold it to a man who just listened and looked at the engine for 2 minutes. He was buying my car for his daughter ($300). I thought it would be too much to ask if I attempted to drive it back to California. As he drove the car away, I cried a little in my heart, quietly saying bye-bye to my old dependable and loyal companion.

facebook面子書,臉書
Jeanne Yu  安靜下來,更多時間親近主,感恩的事情特別多~~~
Shean Chang  我須要這麽做,但現在遠遠不及格,地上事情特別多!!!  1976八月 從加州開一部老爺車到伊利諾大學。搬進Apartment 妥當後,以腳架自拍一照,那時刻的中西部暑熱和高溼度,記憶猶新。 (註:估計錯誤,因而切到頭。所幸,靈魂之窗,眉毛都進了鏡頭。)

Jeanne Yu  雖然頭被切了一點點,還是帥哥!

Shean Chang  快40年前,一長輩對我們講,‘年久月深,照片就 。。。’。 Nearly forty years ago an elder spoke to us, 'when years and months go deeper, namely increase, pictures will become precious'.  How many forties can we have in our life time?  As much righteous and great as it can be, Moses had only 3 per God's grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment